Ormskirk - Lancashire - England
Orm moved from Derbyshire to the Ormskirk area during or soon after 1086 when land was redistributed by King William.
Orm's lands in Derbyshire were taken over by a Norman, and Orm married Alice, the daughter of Hervens, a Norman nobleman, thus receiving four caracutes of land in Lancashire and neighbouring counties. To read more about this man, click here.
In 1186, Ormskirk was part of the endowment of Burscough Priory, it was donated by Robert Fitz-Henry, a descendant of Orm.
From this we may surmise that that the Church was probably built at the end of the 11th century, before Orme went on the Crusades, and that the settlement took the name of Ormskirk at around that time.